Re: wanta get ahead?

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 06:46:56 PST

In a message dated 3/23/2001 9:55:33 PM Central Standard Time,
mcole@weber.ucsd.edu writes:

> But I also have questions. What is a measurement? How does a measurement
> differ from whatever form it is that we find out from our clients (a
> term worth a lot of discusion in itself!) constitutes a service (another
> term worth interrogating).

Mike,

I believe the key to understanding the difficulty the social sciences is
having with defining adequate measuremeent for success can be found in
Vygotsky's Thought and Language. On page 185 of the Alex Kozulin edition
Vygotsky writes, "Development and instruction have different 'rhythms.'
These two processes are interconnected, but each of them has its own
measure." This is why education is currently in such a mess. There has
been one measurement (passing grades) for the intricate dance that occurs
between development and instruction. Therefore, it appears to me the only
solution is to develop an educational system that will account for two
separate measurements. One that shows student accountability and one that
shows instructor accountability. It is time for educators to stop hiding
behind the mantra of 'I shouldn't be held accountable if my student doesn't
want to learn.' Pardon me but that is a bunch of B.S. No other profession
gets away with such nonsense. What doctor would possibly use the excuse of,
"Well, my patient didn't want to get better"? Education is under fire and
the only way to solve it is for educators to take a good hard look at
themselves to discover what is working and what practices need to end. My
apologies in advance if I offend anyone with this post but I have two young
kids who will be adults some day and it scares me what education will be like
in 15 years if educators don't start addressing some of the problems with the
current system. Such as no accountability for tenured teachers, 10 month
salaries in a 12 month world, and above all splintered methodologies.

Huzzah,
Eric Ramberg