elkonin boxes

From: Nate (SCHMOLZE1@HOME.COM)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 05:26:52 PST

I recently did a search on Elkonin and to my surprise countless hits came
back. They all related to these "Elkonin boxes". My surprise was partly due
to doing a similar search about six months ago (not google though) and only
coming up with a few sites - mine in particular. My question would be did I
receive these countless hits because I was using a superior search engine,
or are Elkonin blocks the "fad" now. NAEYC even appears to give them the DAP
stamp of approval.

The Elkonin piece that is referred to is, Elkonin, D. B. 1963,

 ‘The Psychology of Mastery of Elements of Reading’, Educational Psychology
in the USSR, papers by D.N. Bogoiavenski et al., translated by Brian and
Joan Simon, Routledge & Kegan Paul, London, pp. 165–179.

Is anyone familiar with this piece, and any ideas on tracking it down?

Nate

 "The individual, when he apprehends himself as such, is social in his
essence. He is social not as a result of external contingencies, but by
virtue of an internal necessity, by virtue of his genesis." Henri Wallon