Re: Ingold: THREE IN ONE

From: Phillip White (Phillip_White@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 14:00:06 PST

Bill scrobe:

> Two of the contexts I have indexed so far, "school of ed" and
>"classroom" are often resilient to change. Moreover, they are often
>resilient to changing each other even though teachers participate in both
>contexts, as teacher in one, as student in the other. To use Jean Lave's
>term, they are "durable". But sometimes they are not. When they are
>not, I am interested in how this is possible. How is it that people
>enact the processes through which two or more systems of collective
>activity influence each other? How do people constitute one side of the
>material coin of intersystemic change, with the other side being the role
>of artifacts, that of 'boundary objects"? How do people themselves
>change in concert, thus linking intrasystemic change and intersystemic
>change?

        Bill, could you write some more about this - especially - more in
particular - could you write about some of the patterns and relationships
that you've seen - documented - themes in common?

phillip

* * * * * * * *
* *

The English noun "identity" comes, ultimately, from the
Latin adverb "identidem", which means "repeatedly."
The Latin has exactly the same rhythm as the English,
buh-BUM-buh-BUM - a simple iamb, repeated; and
"identidem" is, in fact, nothing more than a
reduplication of the word "idem", "the same":
"idem(et)idem". "Same(and) same". The same,
repeated. It is a word that does exactly what
it means.

                          from "The Elusive Embrace" by Daniel
Mendelsohn.

phillip white