Re: Bourdieu quote help please

From: Phil Graham (phil.graham@mailbox.uq.edu.au)
Date: Sat Feb 24 2001 - 20:51:04 PST

prev Def

First para of the chapter "Structures and the habitus" on p. 72 (the page
"prior" to p. 69 in mine --- it's the right page # anyway --- the whole
middle of the damn book is out of whack courtesy of the printer/binder)

"The structures constitutive of a particular type of environment (e.g. the
material conditions of existence characteristic of a class condition)
produce _habitus_, systems of durable, transposable _dispositions_,
structured structures predisposed to function as structuring structures,
that is, as principles of the generation and structuring of practices and
representations which can be objectively "regulated" and "regular" without
in any way being the product of obedience to rules, objectively adapted to
their goals without presupposing a conscious aiming at ends or an express
mastery of the operations necessary to attain them and, being all this,
collectively orchestrated without being the product of the orchestrating
action of a conductor".

best,
Phil