Carnival in Bahia

From: Ricardo Ottoni Vaz Japiassu (rjapias@uol.com.br)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 16:49:14 PST

Next thursday, city key will be given to the Momo king: Carnaval will begin.
Something will ve out of order. Many things will be out of order, out of control: people will be on the streets, singing and dancing and... That's a great Dionisiac festival!
If anyone wants come to Brazil, please tell me.
There are many ways of participating:
(a) As audience, seeing what is going on in special viewpoints ( you have to pay to see the show);
(b) As one dissolved in a number in the the many dionisiac blocks of people.

There are flights direct from NY to Salvador.

I guess I'll be in OLODUM - a black people dionisiac block in which is permitted women and men go together through the streets. To go with people in OLODUM is cheap: you have to pay only R$ 239,00 ( + - U$ 120,00). You receive your fantasy and will be into the dionisiac procession safe of people in general on saturday, sunday, monday an tuesday of Carnival. It is a block lined more at left.

Other blocks like FILHOS DE GANDHY (it is lined more on right) only accept men. Others, only black people, others only white ones.

If someone will be in Bahia in carnival, please contact me.

Ricardo Ottoni Vaz Japiassu
Universidade do Estado da Bahia-Uneb
Cond. Aldeia de Trobogy
Rua B1, Bl. 49C/301