Re: Bakhtin, moral answerability...

From: Paul H.Dillon (illonph@pacbell.net)
Date: Sun Feb 18 2001 - 07:42:15 PST

Ricardo,

I think the distinction makes a lot of sense. We normally say of certain
people "S/he has no feelings." But I've never heard anyone say "S/he has no
emotions." The difference of course is precisely that to which you allude.
The notion of feelings of course seems to connote an intersubjective
dimension that is not necessarily present with emotions--e.g., I became very
angry when my car got a flat tire in the middle of rush hour, I was
overjoyed with the glorious play of light on the last storm clouds hanging
over the hills as dawn broke.

Which of Carl Ratner's writings contains the discussion you refer to?

Paul H. Dillon