Re: Boris the spider (creepy, crawly)

From: Paul H.Dillon (illonph@pacbell.net)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 07:13:12 PST

Bill,

The Hudson Bay Co. didn't trade south of the border to the best of my
knowledge. As with all things, the specific patterns have to take into
account such specific patterns: e.g., the concrete instance of articulation.
Also, the Kwakiutl system of sub-lineages which allowed the incredible
proliferation of the "crests" whose display or transmission was the putative
object of the potlatch didn't exist with the tribes around the Puget Sound,
to the best of my knowledge. These of coursse being factors internal. A
good comparison that I know of is the Tlingit potlatch (southern Alaska)
which was performed at the time of funeral ceremonies to denote a totally
different type of succession of symbolic goods. Since this wasn't
associated to the matrimonial domain and hence more structurally fixed, the
potlatch underwent almost no transformation at all.

Paul H. Dillon