coteaching/generating

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 06:47:27 PST

Like others, I enjoyed reading the co-teaching/cogenerative discussion
paper by Wolf-Michael. That procedures share a lot with design principles
I have tried to impleement at various times/places.

One of my overpowering quetions, not unrelated to Nate's about funding,
was (roughly): Where and when is this possible even WITH funding? I a,
am teaching via DL a course in North Carolina and interacting with advanced
grad students/return professionals who are in despair because they are
so restricted in what they can do. I speak with other colleagues who have
9 couse loads in quarter system colleges. Even my prized afterschool time,
in the era of 6-6 school "attention" and even in institutions like boys
and girls clubs indicates that the "lock down/stick their noses in the
work sheet/test preparation" activities is prevelant and gaining ground
point the same way.

Where are the gaps for new/old inquiry-based curricula that think that
reading and writing take time and effort, but not drill and kill? Why
are they there? Is it simply the new, higher tech economy, so we are
preparing :"higher order students" for neo-liberal life long threat
of unemployment?

>From all I can tell, the spaces are small, far between.
I crave evidence that I have it all backwards!
mike

PS-- We posted three issues of abstracts from MCA last week, but our system
crashed. Peggy will be reposing as soon as possible so we can experience the
thrill of discussing text people have worked over for months, not minutes
or hours. :-)