Re: Different motives

From: Andy Blunden (andy@mira.net)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2001 - 05:14:14 PST

Helena, Bill, and others,

Firstly can I say that I am in awe of the participants on the list for the
comradely and intelligent way you have conducted your list over such a long
time, and anything I should say may be interpreted in that spirit!

From Bill's explanation I better understand Helena's original comment and
that whole discussion. While I stand by what I said, Bill has focussed my
attention on the Particular, and perhaps my comments were concerned with
Individual and Universal and overlooked the crucial role of mediation by
the Particular. Paul raises this aspect in his comments.

So, thank you! but I think this is the relation of
Individual-Particular-Universal, and there always is a relation between,
for example, researchers and the objects of their study, between activity
theorists and their behaviourist colleagues, and so on. If there were no
pont of contact there would be no friction.

And I don't mind physical metaphors. As a Civil Engineer by training, I
couldn't manage without them!

Andy
| - Andy Blunden - Home Page - http://home.mira.net/~andy/index.htm - |
| "Spirit, so far as it is the immediate truth, is the ethical life of |
| a people: - the individual, which is a world. Phenomenology, Hegel |
  Spirit, Money & Modernity, Melbourne Uni Summer School 23/24 Feb '01
  Reading material at http://home.mira.net/~andy/seminars/23feb00.htm