Re(2): Re(2): Different motives

From: Wolff-Michael Roth (mroth@uvic.ca)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2001 - 11:10:25 PST

>bill writes
>>The approach I wish to take, is to make creative and productive
>>transformations to the existing framework to account for those
>>interactions
>>and processes that are presently under my study, and that build upon the
>>successes of the past activity systems theory, in particular Yrjo's and
>>Alfred's contributions. That just doesn't happen in a few xmca postings.
>>My use of "We" in the previous posting indexed those individuals who share
>>to a greater or lesser degree in this common goal.
>
>oh bill, i have no doubts about the integrity of your efforts, or of any
>of the theorists and researchers here - but you know me, i'm such a
>stickler about languages - ;)
>
>i was asking about the self-replicating assumptions that are embedded in
>AT,
>such as the ways the researcher/theorist's own academic activity
>identifies the activities of the research more than the activity...

Diane,

the academic activity does not have to be separate from the activity
of, for example, teaching inner-city kids; and the critical analysis
of our teaching can itself be interrogated, that's why my colleague
Ken Tobin and I, both involved in teaching kids, making sense with
the teachers and kids, and making sense of our activities, draw on
'radical doubt' (Boudieu, 1992) and 'suspicion of ideology' (Markard,
1984) to engage in a reflexive process... making thematic both the
activities of which we are part and the research and the negotiations
with the participants... (Both concepts come from neo-Marxian lines
of work)

(We do have a paper easily available
http://qualitative-research.net/fqs-texte/3-00/3-00rothetal-e.htm
)

Michael

--

---------------------------------------------------- Wolff-Michael Roth Lansdowne Professor Applied Cognitive Science MacLaurin Building A548 Tel: (250) 721-7885 University of Victoria FAX: (250) 472-4616 Victoria, BC, V8W 3N4 Email: mroth@uvic.ca http://www.educ.uvic.ca/faculty/mroth/ ----------------------------------------------------