Re: Different motives

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@lesley.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 31 2001 - 10:19:20 PST

I agree with Helena -- a researcher, for example a participant observer, engaging in activity theoretic research is at the boundaries of the system of study and that of the research. What is taken up by the researcher of the study system is influenced in many ways by the research system(s). Instrumentation artifacts of the study system are also taken up into the research system, becoming boundary objects, and going through what L* has called 'translation' into the research system. The translation is complex, and new meanings are made out of the artifacts -- a generative process that is characteristic of the intersections of the study and research systems.

Cultural contact.

One task of the researcher is to learn of the study system and inform the research system. This participation is not only a process through which one system of activity is influential of another, it is also an example of the way individual and social development are intertwined.

One can think of these intersections in the way that appears in learning by expanding, in which study systems are artifact/subject etc. producing systems for the research system. It seems very important to watch for the flow of people and things, however, with the 'meaning-making' baggage that goes with them. In strict observer research, in which much care is taken not to influence the study system (i.e. Bateson in Bali), the relations of study and research system are highly (but I might caution) not perfectly asymmetrical. As one moves towards design experiment research, as in 5D or change lab work, the relations are much more symmetrical as the influence of the research systems are allowed to flow more freely, through people and things, into the study systems.

Quite messy. Quite interesting.

These intersections of systems are of course not limited to research and study systems but are one example. Another that I can think of is when two or more institutions engage in joint work.

bb