Re: En: Resume of Yrjv-Kallinen's Theatre as a model system for learning to create

From: Ricardo Ottoni Vaz Japiassu (rjapias@uol.com.br)
Date: Tue Jan 30 2001 - 16:09:01 PST

    -----Mensagem original-----
    De: Judy Diamondstone <diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu>
    Para: xmca@weber.ucsd.edu <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
    Data: Terça-feira, 30 de Janeiro de 2001 17:55
    Assunto: Re: En: Resume of Yrjv-Kallinen's Theatre as a model system for learning to create

    Ricardo, that was a succinct and thorough summary!
    Thanks.

    Is Stans's principle of the "through line" of action what you call the principle of "contextualization" --?
    According to the authors, "both Stan and Leon emphasize that a singular action must be seen in a larger context, as one link in a chain". This "chain" is called "through action" by Stan and "activity" by Leon. I preffered call it contextualization - of an action or actions.
    Do you know much about Stan's students, esp. M. and V.?
    Not much. Only by some books available in portuguese and by deposition and lectures of some theatre professsors/people. There's a book, written by an italian researcher on russian pre and post revolutionary theatre named ANGELO MARIA RIPELLINO, called, in Italian, IL TRUCCO E L'ANIMA (1965). Giulio Einaudi editore s.p.a., Torino/Italy [In Portuguese, O TRUQUE E A ALMA (1996). Editora Perspectiva, Săo Paulo/Brazil. Something like THE TRICK AND THE SOUL, in English]. In this book, there is a hole chapter dedicated to each of them (Stanislavskii, Viera Fiodorovna Komissarjévskaia, Vakhtangov, Meyerhold, Tairov and one chapter about the return of Meyerhold to the Art Theatre of Moscow, directed by Stanislavsky, not many times before he, Meyerhold, had be murdered by stalinist police - after his wife "suicide")
     I'd like to understand the different methods of M. and V. in terms of THEIR inner contradictions, as well as in contrast to their teacher's.
    M's BIOMECHANIC method seem to me too much influenced by Pavlov's conditionated reflex theory, although M was interested in what was specifically theatrical or cultural-historical in the kind of comunication mediated by the theatrical sign. At the end of this life, when he was not so much apreciatted by russian Government, he had given up his experiments with biomechanic and was inclined to go deeper in the study on the arbitrary feature of any comunication through theatre language or, in other words, the cultural-historical essence of theatrical sign (There's a study of ARLETE CAVALIERE called O INSPETOR GERAL DE GÓGOL/MEYERHOLD: UM ESPETÁCULO SÍNTESE, published in Portuguese, by Perspectiva, in 1996. Something like GÓGOL/MEYERHOLD'S THE INSPECTION [Gógol's famous play title. I'm not sure of the correct translation to English]: A SYNTHESIS SPECTACLE. In this study, she conducts the reader to such a conclusion). Cole [In: LURIA, A. R. THE CONSTRUCTION OF MIND], for example, reveals that Zaporozhets - One of Vygotsky/Luria/Leont'ev's disciple - used to watch the spetacles of Meyerhold and films made by Eisenstein, testing if the audience did understand the theatrical signs used by them. Also, according to Cole, M and E asked Vygotsky's group to elaborate applications to be used after a play presentation and films sessions. Zinchenko and Davydov, too, state that Vygotsky knew them - M. and E. [In: DANIELS, Harry (org.) CHARTING THE AGENDA: EDUCATIONAL ACTIVITY AND VYGOTSKY, 1993, Routledge]
    I've been reading about M., who was inclined throughout much of his career to link his theatre to the world 'outside' though later in his career he seems less inclined to do that. I'm curious about the "inside-outside" way of thinking about individual/social interrelations that seems salient to Vygotsky's thinking/psychology as well as the dramatists' -- I mean specifically the question of "which comes first?" Stan. seems to have worked "both ways", though most of us in the West know him as working with "inside-->outside" methods. I've no doubt that Yrjo's is the truer reading.

    There's a lot to think about here.
    Yes, there is.