Re(2): Re(2): question

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2001 - 05:41:34 PST

andy sez
>Diane, of the actions you mention I note a couple of commonalities
>(1) All were actions around an ideal or "object" (unfortunate word!), but
>did *not* involve a common *theory*, i.e. unity in aciton but not theory,
>(2) Despite perceptions, I believe all were highly *mediated*, i.e., they
>were not actions by lots of *individuals* but individuals through the
>mediation of all sorts of organisations, networks and so on, generally
>diverse, but real.

of course, the appearance of spontaneous collectivity belies the efforts
of individual organization,
but it does seem that having a personal stake in the outcomes makes a
difference - and the examples i culled all represent totalitarian regimes,
tyrannies that press upon the 'public' to the point of revolt, where there
is nothing - materially or ideally - left to lose.
diane

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu