Re: Carl's paper ...

From: Judy Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 22 2001 - 21:01:50 PST

The main difference between these two worlds is that
>while we label and tend to withdraw from people diagnosed with
schizophrenia,
>in these other cultures--precisely because people make external
>attributions--people tend to refrain from labeling and do not withdraw their
>social support from them. So, it looks like cultural psychology is badly
>needed especially by those who make decisions about others' lives. And I
>think you agree with that, don't you?

Doris, do you believe that individuals are unaffected by symptoms of
disturbance/ disfunctional patterns in the environment? or that
environments exist independently of social actors? I'm wincing at the
invocation of polarities like 'exterior' and 'interior' --- I'm reluctant
to reject everything on one side of one line.... I don't mean to
oversimplify your position, though, or diminish the importance of
transforming the environment... individual[s] & their environment go
together, though -- don't they?