Re: question

From: Judy Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2001 - 16:31:50 PST

I was responding in part to the discussion of Carl's paper and in part to a
discussion elsewhere and in part an email exchange -- too many audiences
and none well addressed.

let me clarify my puzzlement re: Carl's paper -- Mike, Andy and Nate have
addressed the apparent schism between cultural/individual.... I'm
interested in Carl's reply. I was also responding to Carl's comments on
Bruner, which seemed to be overstated, just as Bruner's assertions re:
individual 'freedom' seem overstated. In other words, there is material for
polarizing values in the complex mix that is sociocultural practice. So I
wondered if Carl was objecting to "negotiation" and "dialog" as Bruner used
the terms in a particular discussion or to "negotiation" and "dialog" in
general as resources for collective action. Perhaps I am inserting polar
terms where none were intended.

Carl, sorry if I've oversimplified the issues as you see them.

And sorry for the previous ambiguous message.