Re: Fw: Carl's paper

From: Nate Schmolze (vygotsky@home.com)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2001 - 15:17:03 PST

Carl,

If I understood Andy, I guess I have a similar concern. Mainly in how you
appear to draw this line between cultural psychology and other
psychology. You have written at length on AT elsewhere, so a question I
have is do you see it more or less being limited to mass psychological
phenomena or is Cultural Psychology one avenue AT can proceed.

One example, a recent article I read on ADHD mentioned now 5% of the worlds
population is on ritilin, but over 80% of its consumption is in the United
States. We Americans seem to consume 80% of everything so maybe theres not
much to it. For argument sake, lets say there are real psychological
differences in American children which "justify" the drug that do not exist
to such an extent in other cultures.

On one hand I could see your development on cultural psychology being
really useful here - what is it about how our institutions are organized,
schools are run, families are supported, consumption broadcasted etc that
forms certain psychological dispositions in American children that are
absent in other children. (These are of course normally seen as properties
of the individual where culture is left unexamined).

But, on the other hand you seem (am I misunderstanding) to create this
division between mass psychological content of cultural psychology and the
more family oriented clinical psychologists. ADHD is of course dealt with
most often by clinical psychologists but may very much have a lot to do
with the realm of cultural psychology.

It seems to me from my readings on AT - including your stuff - is that it
offers a possibility to break down some of the barriers. It can examine
cultural psychological features like you have drawn out, various forms of
historical activity such as work, school, and play, and enlighten
disciplines such as clinical psychology - I am reminded of Gerald Coles
work here.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to the earlier questions, I found it
helpful.

Nate