question

From: Judith Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2001 - 14:14:38 PST

I don't understand how collective action can be possible if inidividual
participants can't negotiate their positions; I don't understand how
negotiation is possible if meaning isn't recognized as more than
referential -- positions are social and idiosyncratic every one. I don't
understand how or WHY we reduce individuals to whatever denominator serves
us -- oh, they're discourse people: they have no credibility. Oh, they're
empiricists, they don't get it,. Oh, he's XYZ -- I know, because so and so
said so.

Here's some evidence of all that I don't understand --- Im interested in
how participants on this list evaluate the following statement, which,
speaking for myself, makes eminent sense:

Cognition has its genesis in object-oriented, productive activity.

Thank you.

Judith