Re: Fw: Carl's paper

From: Andy Blunden (andy@mira.net)
Date: Sat Jan 20 2001 - 18:09:18 PST

Of course! I agree with you Carl, that "the key task for cultural
psychologists is to understand mass-psychological phenomena", and that's
why I continue to push my luck in asking for the money-relation (i.e. the
alienation of human labour into an external symbol which substitutes itself
for a human relation) to be given serious attention. To "explain" mass
phenoena is *obviously* the task of cultural psychology, but explanation
does not at all exhaust the task of science - "the point is to change it" -
and as soon as you begin to engage in struggle you come up against the
concrete forms in which mass psychological phenomena are manifest, and you
need a concrete psychological theory to make sense of your practice at this
level. I am not in favour of a division of labour between abstract and
concrete psychology. Or the alienation of humanity into separate "branches
of science".

Andy

At 04:27 PM 20/01/2001 -0800, you wrote:

>> ----------
>> From: Carl Ratner <cr2@humboldt1.com>
>> Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 18:13:25 -0800
>> To: <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
>> Cc: carl ratner <cr2@humboldt1.com>
>> Subject: Re: Carl's paper
>>
>> I am grateful to the commentators on my paper "Agency & Culture." I'd like
>> to respond to their questions and comments.
>> Andy says that it's crucial for cultural psych. to explain individual
>> differences. I disagree with this. I believe that the key task for
>cultural
>> psychologists is to understand mass-psychological phenomena such as the
>fact
>> that billions of people define themselves in terms of commodities they
>own,
>> billions of women are unsatisfied with their bodily appearance, millions
>of
>> American teenagers have poor communication with their parents, millions of
>> American students have lost any interest in learning academic material in
>> school, 50% of American marriages end in divorce, the vast majority of
>> Westerners experience romantic love which has particular characteristics
>> quite different from the love that Puritans experienced, Americans in
>> general have higher levels of aggression than people in Sri Lanka,
>> particular forms of mental illness are found in different countries, etc.
>> etc. These mass-psychological phenomena are clearly shaped by shared
>> features of a social system. Cultural concepts, or scripts, are clearly
>> impt. in fostering these psychological phenomena, as Doris observes. But
>the
>> entire structure of social activities is crucial also. Understanding the
>> relation between social systems that organize large numbers of people
>> together in activities, and mass psych. phenomena is interesting
>> scientifically and has enormous practical import. It should not be
>> denigrated w. labels such as anthropologism, sociologism, etc. I don't see
>> why Andy thinks that individual differences are more important or
>> interesting than mass psych. issues which millions of people share.
>>
>> Since modern societies are complex, individuals who occupy different
>> positions will have psych. differences. Beyond this, individuals in the
>same
>> position, and even the same family, also have psych. differences.
>Explaining
>> these is NOT the field of cultural psych.; it is clinical psych. I don't
>> think cult. psych. should, or can, explain why among 2 brothers in a
>family,
>> they have different hobbies, one is more shy than the other, one marries a
>> Caucasian blonde while the other marries a black woman, why 1 stays
>married
>> and 1 divorces, why 1 becomes homosexual and the other heterosexual.
>What's
>> relevant to cult. psych. are broader issues such as why 50% of marriages
> [...]
| - Andy Blunden - Home Page - http://home.mira.net/~andy/index.htm - |
| "It has been said that the very essence of civilisation consists of |
| purposely building monuments so as not to forget". L S Vygotsky 1930 |
~ Spirit, Money & Modernity, Melbourne Uni Summer School 23/24 Feb '01 ~