Re: Re(2): Re(2): A sign forms a structural centre which determines the whole

From: Andy Blunden (andy@mira.net)
Date: Sat Jan 13 2001 - 19:14:06 PST

Diane asks: "don't we need the symbol as a link to the material effects of
this? as the economy is dispersed in such gross contortions, understanding
how children determine their selves-in-relation to an external value that
is at the same time an internal structure, demands a recognition of the
effect of that interaction, no?"
-----
That's the question, diane! but just as we learn to count without using our
fingers, and I guess it's pretty rare for the police to be required to
enforce a whole array of social mores which we all adhere to 'naturally',
can't we transcend this rotten practice?

On the points you make about the importance of not reducing everything to
_one_ relation, sure of course, but I do think this _one_ has been
massively under-rated of late, and there are few social constructs nowadays
that don't have a heavy admixture of relative social wealth and power -
i.e. money - attached to them.

Andy

| - Andy Blunden - Home Page - http://home.mira.net/~andy/index.htm - |
| "It has been said that the very essence of civilisation consists of |
| purposely building monuments so as not to forget". L S Vygotsky 1930 |
~ Spirit, Money & Modernity, Melbourne Uni Summer School 23/24 Feb '01 ~