fowarded question concerning translation

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 10 2001 - 09:22:57 PST

I am forwarding this note for Yuko Hasaka at Kyoto U who had trouble
linking to xmca. I will first post the question, then the answer as best
I can render it.
mike

----
> > Hi there;
> >
> > This is my first message+question, well ask for help to xmca.
> > I am graduate student of Kyoto university in Japan and now
> > trying to read "TOOL AND SYMBOL IN CHILD DEVELOPMENT".
> > And pretty enjoy it so far:)
> >
> > Now, I need someone to help me out to make it clear;
> > I have 3 types of the paper.
> > One is in collective works of Vygotsky.
> > Others are in "Mind in society" and "Vygotsky reader".
> >
> > The first one is translation of Russian text, right?
> > Then how about other two version of it?
> >
> > Judging from the note, "Reader"version is originally in English,
> > author is Vygotsky and Luria???
> > That means Luria translated Vygotsky's Russian text;
> > just translation or rewrite some part of them?
-------------
THE AUTHORSHIP OF THIS PAPER IS UNCERTAIN. LURIA ATTRIBUTED TO IT
VYGOTSKY WHEN GIVING IT TO ME. I BELIEVE THAT SAME VERSION WAS USED
IN THE VAN DER VEER AND VALSINER READER. BASED ON OTHER OTHER EVIDENCE,
VDV AND V BELIEVE THAT LURIA WAS A CO-AUTHOR.
---------
> > Is there any difference between "collective work" version and this one?
> >
> > And from editor's preface of "Mind in Society",
> > 'Luria made available to us rough translations of two of Vygotsky's
> works.'
> > what is this line exactly means?
-----------
THIS LINE MEANS EXACTLY WHAT IT SAYS. LURIA GAVE ME A TRANSLATION OF
TOOL AND SYMBOL AND DEVELOPMENT OF HIGHER PSYCHOLOGICAL FUNCTIONS. I
BELIEVE THAT PEETER TULVISTE AND KOLYA GOLDBERG WERE INVOLVED IN
TRANSLATION OF TOOL AND SYMBOL. HIGHER PSYCHOLOGICAL FUNCTIONS WAS
TRANSLATED BY SOMEONE ELSE WITH GOOD KNOWLEDGE OF ENGLISH BUT POOR
KNOWLEDGE OF PSYCHOLOGY. THE TEXT IN "MIND IN SOCIETY" USING THESE
MATERIALS WAS EDITED BY THE EDITORS.
------
> > Does this mean Luria handed to Professor Cole English version in early
> > 1970s(form "Reader")
> > and this paper made you possible to make kind of summarized version of
> them?
> > Or Luria made this in Russian and you translated or Luria made it in
> > English?
> >
> > I just wonder why 3 version of the (maybe) originally the same paper's
in
> my
> > hand.
> >
> > Could anybody help me to figure it out?
---------
In the mid 1970's when these texts were first made available, the
project of the collected works was still in progress and a matter
of internal dispute in the USSR. The texts were not sent through
the official agencies that controlled all printed materials crossing
the Soviet border at the time. They were brought by hand. Those
engaged in such activity were, in principle, liable to arrest and
imprisonment.

I have no knowledge of the arrangements made for translation of the collected works. you could inquire of the editors.

What one sees is a steady progression of more and more complete translations. The purity of all versions of the originals should be considered problematic since they were subject to various sources with various relateions to the author(s). ------- > > > > Thanks; > > > > I always enjoy the discussion in here:) > > > > Hope you all have a happy new year/ century!!! > >

I hope this answer is helpful to you and look forward to your contributions to the discussions on XMCA. mike cole