Re: Interview method question

From: Yrjö Engestrm (yrjo.engestrom@helsinki.fi)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 10:19:31 PST

Bill, James Spradley's classic 'The Ethnographic Interview' (1979, Harcourt
Brace) is nice because it presents s careful stepwise procedure from
descriptive questions to structural questions and contrast questions, all
aimed at discovering folk categories, taxonomies and cultural themes.
Holstein & Gubrium's more recent little book 'The Active Interview' (1995,
Sage) presents the interview process as active dialogue between researcher
and interviewee. -But I haven't come across methodological treatments of
'theoretically coordinated interview' either.

Yrjo Engestrom