Re: interview methods

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@lesley.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 08:31:38 PST

First, my sincere thanks to Paul, Doris, Randy, and Peter -- at its best, asking a question on xmca is like the last snowflake to trigger an avalanche, and this is one of those times! There is thus lots of work to do!

What I had in mind, Dr. Hodges, is making theoretically informed observations -- what the investigator considers important observations is influenced by the theory at hand. What Peter's work, and i think the other references as well, point to, is that theory also influences how those observations are to be made, how the discourse "goes".

With activity theory I am interested in a specific perspective of development, hence asking particular questions, unlike what is recommended in standard texts on case study methods. And it is being done jointly with an accomplice, who is also a "subject".

bb

--
Bill Barowy, Associate Professor
Lesley University