Re: Re(2): MCA Fall 1995

From: Nate Schmolze (vygotsky@home.com)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 03:51:29 PST

Now I am wondering if its an either or. Is plurality of ideals necessarily
in opposition to a universal ideal. It seems what allows a universal ideal
like money to emerge and remain dominant is its engagement with a plurality
of ideals.

It seems then if we want to replace the shared ideal of money with
something else, it must also engage a plurality of ideals.

I agree with Andy in that it seems obvious to me we live in an age where
money as a universal ideal has global sense to it, but I also do not think
we can understand that universality completely without understanding the
pluralities that Diane and others mentioned.

Money is in the totality position it is today because it has engaged
multiple (sometimes competing) ideals such as equality, democracy, freedom
etc. Its universality is dependent on engaging pluralities while at the
same time not losing its universality. While we may value democracy,
freedom, and equality - if they are put into a direct confrontation with
the pocket book they tend to lose.

Nate