Re: MCA Fall 1995

From: Judith Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 17 2000 - 08:37:47 PST

Andy wrote:
If I understand you correctly Judy, of
>course we all value the capacity for abstract reasoning, just as no-one
>wants to go back to animism and witch-hunting, but equally we all know that
>the roller-coaster we are on is taking us somewhere we really don't want to
>be, don't we?

It's safe to say that we on this list don't want to go where we've been
catapulted -- (less fatalistically: are being?...). One hypothesis is that,
over time, diverse values (control, rationality, dominance) get so tightly
interwoven in the network of what's become exploitive activity systems of
production & distribution, within which WE are produced -- & thus out of
the control of individuals -- that change can happen only catastrophically
from "outside" or from collapse from within OR

through the agency that individuals direct toward their performance as
ethical, relational beings -- re-visioning and hopefully changing within
critically reflexive social relations and thereby making it possible to
imagine & produce the sort of changes in local systems of activity that
would unfix their internal structures, moving toward dynamic institutions
that are self adjusting toward ethical goals....

well, I am eager to get help in thinking more carefully about possibly
designing better futures so I look forward to seeing the holes that some of
you will thoughtfully point out in the above and the directions others
might take this
judy