Re: Reading Learning by Expanding

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue Dec 12 2000 - 16:42:40 PST

Paul said: "speaking of objective nature, has anyone picked up on the role
of "objectivity" in the discourses surrounding the Florida recounts. It's
quite telling how the republicans insist on "the objectivity of the machine.""

Looked at from the outside, the spectacle of the Land of the Free - the
country which regularly invades and "destabilises" other sovereign nations
for the purpose of forcing them to hold elections - having the son of a
former President/CIA Director getting the numbers in the judiciary to STOP
the counting of votes (from those rich and lucky enough to get registered
to vote anyway) in the state run by his brother - this is really choice. It
marks the end of any possibility the US ever had of imposing "the American
way" on other nations!

I find it difficult to believe that anyone could swallow that "objectivity
of machine" argument! Surely not??

>Paul H. Dillon

* Andy Blunden, Teaching Space Support Team Leader
* Email ablunden@unimelb.edu.au or andy@mira.net
* http://home.mira.net/~andy/ - Personal Home Page
* http://www.ists.unimelb.edu.au - Work Home Page
* University of Melbourne 9344 0312 (W) 9380 9435 (H)