New Paper

From: Artin Goncu (goncu@uic.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 09 2000 - 12:51:11 PST

Dear All:

A new review paper may be of interest to those xmca colleagues who are
interested in children's pretend play. This paper covers work published
since 1983 when the Handbook of Child Psychology included its first and
last review on children's play. The paper is now in press for the
"Handbook of Social Development" by Blackwell (Peter Smith and Craig Hart,
Editors.) In this paper we maintain our conceptualization of children's
play as cultural activity, and first characterize findings from Western
research as cultural even though this body of work was not conceptualized
as such. Afterwards we interpret findings from cultural and cross-cultural
arenas, addressing class, gender, and cultural differences. If you are
interested in taking a look at it, please drop me a line off the net.
Wishing everybody a happy new year. Artin

Artin Goncu, Ph.D
Professor
College of Education M/C 147
University of Illinois at Chicago