Re: Ingold?

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@lesley.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 09 2000 - 09:01:50 PST

The one that strikes me like a runaway freight train is "Key Debates in Anthropology", that is available in paperback. The table of contents is:

1. Social Anthropology is a Generalizing Science or it is Nothing. (Participants: Keith Hart and Anthony Good for, Anthony Cohen and Judith Okely against).
2. The Concept of Society is Theoretically Obsolete (Marilyn Strathern and Christina Toren for, J D Y Peel and Jonathan Spencer against).
3. Human Worlds are Culturally Constructed (Wendy James and Roland Littlewood for, Tim Ingold and Paul Richards against).
4. Language is the Essence of Culture (David Parkin and Brian Moeran for, Alfred Gell and James Weiner against).
5. The Past Is a Foreign Country (David Lowenthal and Penelope Harvey for, Gillian Feeley-Harnik and Susanne Kuchler against).
6. Aesthetics is a cross-cultural Category (Howard Morphy and Jeremy Coote for, Joanna Overing and Peter Gow against).

Some of these debates hit at the core of third generation activity theory, but then, preparation is also a concern. Going back to a good discussion of different orders of contradiction, and a key foundation for third generation chat, is my earlier suggestion. Some who have been able to access an underground copy have read in isolation, which, compared to informed discussion, can only foster an impoverished understanding.

In the meantime, I'm highly interested in a timely reading and discussion of something new from an xmca member, "Creative Collaboration", which should offer fresh perspectives on expansive learning.

--
Bill Barowy, Associate Professor
Lesley University