Wanted: Two Professors

From: Jay Lemke (jllbc@cunyvm.cuny.edu)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 12:09:10 PST

Dear friends ...

Sorry for my recent long, virtual absence .... I started creating our new
PhD program in Urban Education for real in September ... interrupted for a
while by jury duty.

We've just received the official approval to announce our two open senior
faculty positions; i.e. we're trying to hire two professors (full, probably
Distinguished, definitely insightful and thoughtful). One job is for
someone who understands that urban education is very largely about politics
and has interesting ways to think, talk, and do something about that for
the good of the vast majority of urban students. The other is for someone
who pokes their noses into schools, classrooms, and communities and writes
about what really seems to be going on (from someone's viewpoint), but also
cares about larger-scale policy issues and tries to make the connections.

The real salary range is upwards from US$100k p.a. plus 27% of base salary
(see ad) in benefits. You also get an office on Fifth Avenue and some nice
colleagues (me, Stan Aronowitz, Michelle Fine, Colette Daiute, Anna
Stetsenko, Joe Glick, Neil Smith, David Harvey, Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick, bell
hooks, et al.).

People can look now at my very ugly skeleton website for more information
on the new program, which the successful candidates get to help design,
invent courses for, etc.
http://web.gc.cuny.edu/urbaneducation
or you can look at the boring, but neat, and somewhat incomplete official site:
http://www.gc.cuny.edu/AcademicPrograms/Doctoral/UrbanEducation/Overview.htm

The website will get prettier. The program will be good. We need more
money. (This is my idea of full disclosure.)

JAY.

----------------------------------
Professor (Urban Education)
Location: Graduate Center, Ph.D. Program in Urban Education
CUNY Personnel Vacancy Notice No.: FY-747
Closing Date: 1/31/01
The new Ph.D. Program in Urban Education of The Graduate School and
University Center of The City University of New York plans to appoint a
tenured professor, starting September 2001, specializing in classroom,
school, and community studies. Expertise in ethnographic and/or language
analysis research methods and an interest in issues of urban education
policy are particularly desirable. The successful candidate will
shareresponsibility for development of a new program that prepares
researchers and policy analysts to contribute to the renewal of urban
education. The program will begin in Fall 2001 with 15-20 students, three
full-time senior faculty members, and approximately twenty associated
faculty from other doctoral programs and the constituent CUNY colleges.

Responsibilities:
Teaching graduate seminars and independent study courses; directing
dissertations and advising doctoral students. Initiating funded research
projects on urban education in New York City with program colleagues and
contributing to the collegial self-governance of the program.

Qualifications:
Earned doctorate, record of exceptional academic achievement, major
national or international reputation asa scholar, excellence in teaching
and in mentoring research students.

Salary: $65,789/A - $86,619/A (base salary subject to change in new
contract) A supplement of at least $21,000 is possible for appointment to
the title of Distinguished Professor. Total compensation package to be
negotiated at the time of appointment.

Review of applications will begin February 1, 2001. Please send a
curriculum vitae, letter of application, and the names and addresses of
three professional references to:

Professor Jay L. Lemke
Executive Officer, Ph.D. Program in Urban Education
CUNY Graduate Center
365 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10016

The City University of New York
An Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Immigration Reform and
Control Act/
Americans with Disabilities Act Employer

--------------------------------

Professor (Education Policy)
Location: Graduate Center, Ph.D. Program in Urban Education
CUNY Personnel Vacancy Notice No.: FY-753
Closing Date: 1/31/01
The new Ph.D. Program in Urban Education of The Graduate School and
University Center of The City University of New York plans to appoint a
tenured professor, starting September 2001, specializing in educational
policy studies and policy analysis. A focus on integrating systemic policy
research with school and community studies is particularly desirable. The
[...]

JAY L. LEMKE
PROFESSOR OF EDUCATION
CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK
JLLBC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU