research/empathy

From: Dot Robbins (drobbins@socket.net)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 23:48:37 PST

Dear Diane,
Thank you for your thoughts that really touched me deeply. I could not
agree with you more.
Whether A.T., or any other model, I am convinced that real change and
transformation come
from a sense of empathy (and many similar attributes) for others, as
well as applying the same attributes
to societal problems.. This is how we transcend many of the real
dualisms in life, not only through analysis, research, etc. . Surely,
A.T. is only a tool, and it is how it is used, like everything else that
makes a difference. And we either believe in our models, or we don't. I
feel that whatever we believe in is what is truth for us, it is what
gives us a sense of empowerment, and I think it is right to question
existing models. There is simply no progression without questioning.
On the whole, I feel that there is never any use of trying to convince
others
of the models we believe in. The one criteria that a model must have for
me to believe in is true "wholeness" with my work, life, research, etc.
At the same time, it is clear that no model will ever be perfect. I do
appreciate all of your thoughts. And, the words I have really taken to
heart are:

and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

very best wishes,
Dot