Moscow summer conference

From: Dot Robbins (drobbins@socket.net)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 06:18:42 PST

Announcement of a summer conference in Moscow for graduate students (and
intererested participants):
Cultural-Historical Approach to Research within Psychology and Social
Sciences
Moscow, July 1-5, 2001

The International Vygotsky Seminar (IVS) will sponsor the second summer
conference from July 1- 5, 2001. It will take place in Moscow.

The conference will be focused on graduate student research from around
the world. Also, this conference is
open to professors of graduate students, and others who are interested.
Western participants will be asked to contribute $75.00 to help with the
overall expenses. Participants will be
responsible for the following: flight, hotel room (there will be
reasonable rates; however, there is a
chance that there will only be cold water during that time in Moscow);
taxi to and from the airport (Boris Potapov will be happy to pick you up
and bring you back for $25 one way, and $42 round-trip). Visas must be
acquired through Andrews Consulting Firm in London (and we will all go
together to register with the authorities), meals are the responsibility
of the participants. We hope to have some funding, but if not, we will
not be having refreshments, etc. For people who need tour guides and
translators, this will need to be arranged beforehand. The costs for
translators will be determined soon.

This 2nd annual conference is being organized by Vladimir Spiridonov,
his student team, and myself.
The discussions and papers will be in Russian style, with free flowing
discussions that will not be cut off for
the next speaker, such as most Western conferences (and our last ZPD
summer school in June, 2000). The papers can be presented in Russian,
English, German. Approximately three well-known Russian psychologists
will be invited to speak. The first psychologist asked has accepted the
invitation (Vladimir Umrikhin). If there are any outside activities,
e.g.., visiting the Bolshoi Theater, they will be spontaneous. This
conference will be of a relaxed nature.

For more information, please contact:
Dot Robbins
drobbins@socket.net

*please send this message to as many people as possible and announce it
in your
classes. Thank you, as we don't have money for brochures this year.

*The International Vygotsky Society (IVS) has been discontinued. A new
focus has been established called the International Vygotsky Seminar
(IVS), coordinated by Vladimir Spiridonov, and his team of students. It
is not sponored by the Russian State University of the Humanities at the
moment. The contents of the website will soon be changed (the current
contents are no longer valid), and there will be an on-line forum for
Vygotskian issues (especially for graduate students) hopefully starting
the fall semester 2001. Internet address: <www.ivs.ru>