RE: leont'ev: externalization/internalization etc

From: Nate Schmolze (nate_schmolze@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 14:27:57 PST

Peter,

Is it true a child with autism has limited social interaction? I would tend
to see that very much as a stereotype in how we seem to equate the social
with verbal. I too have dealt with many autistic children and while as a
mediational means the verbal is limited - I don't think its accurate to make
the jump to social interaction.

One example, computers have been very central in my experience with autistic
children. Is that interaction social? I would argue very much so. In
addition in having worked with them one on one communicating physically
through non-verbal actions, gestures, etc seem very important forms of
social interaction.

In regards to chemical imbalances do not we come to terms with those in
Activity we are engaged in. We must not forget that the countless children
with chemical imbalances (ADHD) rarely take their medication on the weekend.
And if they do or don't take their medication that is realized in concrete
ways within activity. They may be moralized, normalized, and many other
things in concrete ways in social activity that no doubt forms the
personality. Is not it activity where the child would come to terms with
this thing called chemical imbalances.

For me the Activity category is useful in that it has the "potential" to
move away from classical biological / social dichotomies. In short, it is in
social activity where we come to terms with things like autism, chemical
imbalances etc. I mean the chemicals inside the head definately don't have
agency or at least not on the level of human personality. Especially with
chemical imbalances it seems they are more noticeable in some activities
than others and this no doubt influences ones personality.

Nate