Re: each in their own way

From: Phillip White (Phillip_White@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 14:13:10 PST

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
        Mike scrobe:
>It is this problem which was
>a major motive behind the development of Question-asking-reading, the
>peg griffing-inspired generalization of brown and palincsar reciprocal
>reading. The idea was to create a medium which was simultaneously
>effective
>in providing indvidual diagnoses of kids (mis/understandings) of what
>reading was and to pinpoint the problem AND AT THE SAME TIME an activity
>that allowed those kids to re-mediate their understandings. There is
>an externalization/internalization (is is it the other way around? :-))
>dynamic at work,

        good afternoon Mike - and everyone - at the elementary school i work
at we use similar strategies with our students who have strong decoding
skills (they can 'sound-out' practically anything) but don't particularly
have strong comprehension of what they just read. these strategies are
great in teaching and modeling and practicing self-reflective and
self-monitoring reading skills.

        at the same time, we've learned that if the child is learning Englishas a
second language then more in-depth instruction is necessary - because
particular cultural practices, beliefs and tools have to be in one's
knowledge base. then we provide instruction about the information in the
child's first language.

>but getting the kids coordinated with the activity
>of interpreting the world through print requires more than that idea
>to become an instrument of teaching.

        yes, this is true i believe even at the university level learning -

what Helena just wrote:

When I read something that's new and hard to understand, I go for grasping
just
enough of it to carry back something useful to my own work; if there is
more
there, especially things that seem excessively focused on something I
don't worry
much about, I just let it float on past. I proceed with this system as
long as it
doesn't generate contradictions in the pile of knowledge that I use for my
work.
After a few years have gone by and I've read a bunch of things and talked
with a
bunch of people and the contradictions are only coming in at distant
intervals, I
begin to think I know something about the subject at hand.

        is certainly true - at least in my experience - at all levels of
learning for all age levels. of course, how quickly the process is paced
has much to do with interest and need and pressure, etc. but the process
is the same for us all.

phillip

* * * * * * * *
* *

The English noun "identity" comes, ultimately, from the
Latin adverb "identidem", which means "repeatedly."
The Latin has exactly the same rhythm as the English,
buh-BUM-buh-BUM - a simple iamb, repeated; and
"identidem" is, in fact, nothing more than a
reduplication of the word "idem", "the same":
"idem(et)idem". "Same(and) same". The same,
repeated. It is a word that does exactly what
it means.

                          from "The Elusive Embrace" by Daniel
Mendelsohn.

phillip white