Re: The Core

From: Paul H.Dillon (illonph@pacbell.net)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 09:33:43 PDT

Nate,

Of course, both directions occur. I think Leont'ev actually discussed this
in some detail in Ch 3 . The question is one of primacy in the relation.
Marx's discussion in the Grundrisse of why production is the determinant
economic relation (as opposed to consumption, distribution, exchange) seems
very much to the point here and (i have no time for this now) I think a
parallel analysis of placing externalization and internalization on the same
level, or even --as Dot seems to imply -- making externalization the
determinant moment, would be revealing. And I find it astounding that this
issue tends to be treated as though we aren't already midstream in a long
history of phylogenetic development. This is the only context that allows
me to understand Vygotsky's marginal comment about having a word "on the tip
of his toungue".

Just as the primacy of production in the analysis of economic systems is
fundamental for the structure of the theory of those systems, so is the
primacy of the social fundamental for the structure of psychological
theory.

Paul H. Dillon