Re(2): Blast from the past 1

From: Phillip White (Phillip_White@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 06:53:33 PDT

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:

        Arne, writing through the corporeal form of Andy, scrobe:

>"Internalization" of the structure of external activities then must
>mean mainly an *increase in self-regulation* that is brought about
>by building and using an "internal", i.e. *symbolic*, model of the
>world to anticipate the resistance of the material objects, and to
>overcome them somehow (nowadays the phrase "triumph over nature"
>has a very bad ring) in order to ensure our reproduction on earth.
>
>Arne Raeithel

        "an increase in self-regulation" thank you, Arne. thank you Andy for
passing this on. so nice to have a definition that's an activity.

phillip

* * * * * * * *
* * *
The English noun "identity" comes, ultimately, from the
Latin adverb "identidem", which means "repeatedly."
The Latin has exactly the same rhythm as the English,
buh-BUM-buh-BUM - a simple iamb, repeated; and
"identidem" is, in fact, nothing more than a
reduplication of the word "idem", "the same":
"idem(et)idem". "Same(and) same". The same,
repeated. It is a word that does exactly what
it means.

                          from "The Elusive Embrace" by Daniel
Mendelsohn.

phillip white