Up to Chap 3

From: blantonw@umiami.ir.miami.edu
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 07:31:00 PDT

Leont'ev readers

I have mangaged to catch up and read through chapter 3. I have found every
dimension of the conversation chock full of new insights. I want to check
out my understanding at this point. Humans are constantly striving to meet
their needs. They encounter objects which are cultural-historical in
origin. We select objects and arrary activity around them. Thus the object
is the central in that it creates possibilities for learning and development.

Next, how activity is arrayed around the object coordinates the social
interactions that transform the internal plane. Thus if we want to bring
about change in, say students, we need to re-structure (remediate) the
activity structure of schools-not indvidual teachers or individual students.
It seems that a great deal of effort is always expended in creating
structures to transport into schools rather than on what changes need to be
made in elements that mediate school activity to bring about a desired change.

The reading so invites me to flip the idea of stages of cognitive
developoment, age-bound grade levels, etc. over. Students should move
through different activities that provide multiple paths to learning and
development. The content of activity is what is important.

Bill Blanton
William E. Blanton
Department of Teaching and Learning
319 H Merrick