Re: translation issues

From: Victor Kaptelinin (vklinin@informatik.umu.se)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 09:21:55 PDT

Paul,

You are right, it is odd. But isn't this the case with many adjectives and
adjective equivalents? Sometimes they change their meanings, depending on
the context, in very odd ways. Usually we do not notice these oddities
because we have got used to them, but they are there all the same. Take,
for instance, "expert systems". What does "expert" in this expression
actually mean? Something like "imitating expert decision making", I guess.
Ok, but then what does "expert" mean in "expert decision making". Is
"expert decision making" a decision making that imitates expert decision
making? Very odd.

In my view, something like this takes place in the case of "objective
world" and "objective activity". The same Russian adjective "predmetnyj/
predmetnaja" has two different meanings in these two expressions (roughly,
"consisting of predmets" and "oriented towards predmets"). I never thought
it was odd, but now I think maybe it isŠ :)

Best wishes,
Victor