Re: Leontiev Ch. 2 -- II on "Psychic Reflection"

From: Andy Blunden (a.blunden@pb.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 16:36:48 PDT

On the term "reflection" ...

anyone writing in the Soviet Union would know how political the word
"reflection" is, mainly because of Lenin's book "Materialism and
Empirio-criticism" and the position that book has had in disputes over the
years. Ilyenkov's defence of this book, published by New Park, is at
http://www.marxists.org/archive/ilyenkov/works/positive/index.htm and this
gives us the opportunity to see how someone of the same School as Leontyev
(more or less, as I understand it?) defends the use of the term.

Where "Reflection" is being used in the crudest manner as a metaphor for
sense perception, then of course it is nothing more than a barrier to
understanding the genuinely human relation, but it is nevertheless a
perfectly useful term which incorporates the idea that an objectively
existing natural world is the utlimately determining side in the
human-nature relation, and also expresses the way a host of processes find
their properties reflected in another process, including human society
reflecting aspects of the natural world it lives in. Surely?

Andy

At 22:02 11/10/2000 +0200, you wrote:
>Continuation to: on "ob-" and "subjective"
>
>Now, as to the concept of "reflection" it is entered into the scene
>in order to bridge between subject and object, and this in the
>direction from object to subject.
>
>In philosophy the term "reflection" covers an absolute and increasing
>mess ever since its reintroduction by Locke on the basis of
>Descartes' distinction between extended and cognizing matter. Whether
>it has avoided to improve on this with its introduction into
>psychology remains to be shown. In the German translation of
>Leontiev, Rubinstein and others "reflection" is usually rendered by
>"Wiederspiegelung", literally "re-mirroring". Now this is
>tautological which may have been invented in the intent to cover,
>i.e. hide the mess. It is obvious that Lenin's theory of perception
>as reflection in the sense of sensory imaging is sheer nonsense. The
>senses by their proper construction add a lot of their own -- color
>is not in the world, nor is sound or glare or bitterness etc.; all
>qualities etc. are relational rather than factual attributes of
>either the things / events or the mind. The sensory systems are
>transactional rather than reduplicating. In fact, I would even say,
>they are as much symbolic as their are iconic, in Peircean terms. But
>that's another story.
>
>It is clear from Leontiev's use of the word that "Wiederspiegelung",
>translation notwithstanding, is exactly not the meaning he is giving
>the term. This is a bit strange and may perhaps express some
>hesitation on part of the translator to bring Leontiev too close the
>Hegel since the latter in German used the term "Reflexion". I also
>think L. is not using the term in the sense of "reflection". i.e. as
>a sort of meta-cognition of conscious pondering again and inquiring
>this and that facet or relationship of what one is already aware of.
>In this sense of metaphor, the inner mirror, so to say, the term has
>originally been introduced into philosophy by Platon and Aristoteles.
>But in Leontiev's thought reflection in his sense should be a
>precondition to the possibility of this awareness-psychological sense.
>
>So the question is how and where Leontiev settles his notion between
>mirroring and pondering reflection, quantitatively or qualitatively.
>I must confess that I have great troubles understanding what Leontiev
>really has in mind. He touches many facets of the the field but does
>not state what he means. Similar troubles as I have had reading the
>German translation although I have a much better understanding of
>Vygotsky and the philosophical background back into the 18th century
>now than then. Sure, what happens in the brain-mind is to some extent
>dependent on that system of internal conditions, which is probably
>what L. calls "subjective" (p.33 et passim). But the same is true for
>the other part in the process, namely that part of the world actually
> [...]
* Andy Blunden, Teaching Space Support Team Leader
* Email ablunden@unimelb.edu.au or andy@mira.net
* http://home.mira.net/~andy/
* University of Melbourne 9344 0312 (W) 9380 9435 (H)