Searching for articles

From: Elizabeth A Wardle (ewardle@iastate.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 16:07:21 PDT

Sorry to interrupt this great discussion, but can anyone point me to some
articles that discuss how to consider boundaries of activity systems or how
to define an activity system? Specifically what I'm looking for are
articles that address how, as researchers, we can decide what activity
system(s) research subjects belong to, whether being physically present in
an activity system necessarily means the person is a part of that activity
system, and how boundaries between activity systems can be/are drawn. For
example, in a workplace study, what counts as an activity system: a
department? all the engineers in a company? the company? All of the above
and more? How do we, as researchers, account for this?

This are questions some AT critics in rhetoric have and I need to address
them for an article I'm working on.

If you have some citations for me, feel free to reply off the list so as
not to disrupt the Leontiev discussion.

Thanks for your help.

Elizabeth Wardle
Rhetoric & Professional Communication