Re(2): teaching and learning

From: Phillip White (Phillip_White@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 06:27:47 PDT

hworthen@igc.org writes:

        Helena wrote, in response to Mark's comment -

>Mark Warschauer wrote:
>
>> I wish I could see it as simply as you. The fact is that, in many
>> ways, American schools are failing, and the working class and
>> minorities are bearing the brunt of those failures....
>
>This comment will be off-topic a bit, and I'm looking forward to moving
>on to the
>next chapter as Mike suggested, but....if you want to look at HOW American
>schools are failing, don't just look within the school system. Take a look
>outside -- at the workforce development programs that are being set up to
>create
>workers out of the products of our railed schools.

        to follow up - _if_ american schools are failing - then one certainly
does need to look outside of the micro school system into the macro
systems of american socio-political-economics.

        Pete mentioned the enormous needs for resources for those schools
attempting to serve the working class and poor populations - these
resources are the very same that the wealthier social populations would
never deny themselves.

        still, i am not heeding Mike's comments to refocus on Leontiev.

phillip