Re: teaching and learning

From: Mark Warschauer (markw@hawaii.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 23:41:26 PDT

I wish I could see it as simply as you. The fact is that, in many
ways, American schools are failing, and the working class and
minorities are bearing the brunt of those failures. Many of the
changes that are proposed (a retreat from whole language, a focus on
standards, school vouchers) have stronger support from the working
class than they do from the upper middle-class suburbanites (who are
rather content with their decent suburban schools). Herbert Gintis,
who together with Samuel Bowles wrote the seminal 1976 book,
_Schooling in Capitalist America_, now supports enhanced school
choice and possibly even privatization as a way of dealing with these
problems (http://olam.ed.asu.edu/epaa/v2n6.html). African-Americans
in large numbers support school vouchers. And attacks on whole
language have been led by prominent African-American educators (e.g.,
Lisa Delpit).

Is this all a matter of false consciousness, with the working class
completely fooled as to what is really going on in the schools?
Mark Warschauer