Re: On Leontiev

From: Elhammoumi (elham@rockymountnc.com)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 18:15:19 PDT

Hi Andy Blunden and Bill Barowy

Andy: Work is that activity which is oriented by these ideals, i.e., is
carried out as part of and serving social relations of production, in the
broadest possible definition thereof.

Bill: what social workers and police do, thus somehow serving social
relations of production, even if the production results only in the next
generation of kids, pimps, and hookers...

Excellent ideas exchanged in your latest postings. In my view, to
understand what is going on in society, the best starting point of analysis
is to look at the social relations of productive activity in that society
and try to fit everything else into that. Social relations of productive
activity is regarded as a kind of map on which psychologists can locate
various things during the process of investigation of human activity,
consciousness and higher mental functions.

At each historical evolution of our social organizations (from
hunting-gathering to the present free-market globalization nightmare)
correspond a system of production which regulate social relations between
individuals. The nature of these social relations which is based on
economic production shapes and makes up social institutions that regulate
the division of labor activities, ways of working, ways of schooling and
educating individuals, ways of thinking, distribution of resources and
wealth. Human cognition, personality, activity, consciousness, etc were
shaped and gorunded in the social relations of productive activity of each
historical development of human being. In my view social relations of
productive activity must be regared as a kind of map or anchor which help
us to picture, visualize and concretize the cognitive structures of human
higher mental functions, consciousness, personality and human activity.