Re: RE: Leontiev

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2000 - 09:22:45 PDT

nate sez
>I would tend to see CHAT as this thing that importantly has certain
>contradictions within itself. This is not bad in my view - a potential
>for
>the dialectical process of critique and appropriation. It is not
>necessarily
>that the cultural - historical - or Activity components fit nicely
>together
>as a puzzle - but rather involve certain tensions within itself. In this
>sense they don't seem so much like one line of theory, but it also does
>not
>seem like they can be understood as 3 lines so to speak. A long history
>of
>critique and appropriation where they can only be understood relationally.

well thanks nate, for situating the CH in a relation with the AT as a
TENSION because
that offers me a place within this discussion,
me loving the tensions that are irresolvable, like contra-dictions and
such, seeking
spaces for balance that are held on place only by an allegorical and
fleeting fulcrum, perhaps -

like the elusive gluons that flit inside photons, there is an interesting
balance
achieved through fleeting or disappearing, but which is maintained by the
presence of one or the other - that is, it takes two at least to sustain
the activity of the matterless matter -

so the cultural-historical is always a challenge to the activity, where
both are kinds of
fleeting pieces that keep the other in tension, or, as we do with words,
in kinds
of see-saw balance - unless we get some big sister on the other end of the
see-saw who leaps off just as balance is achieved,
sending her younger sister to crashing bottom.
but that doesn't happen here, of course.

i am not sure i am seeing this tension in Leontiev - is this part of the
historical context of the writing?

diane

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu