RE: RE: leontiev reading

From: Nate Schmolze (nate_schmolze@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 13:48:38 PDT

1) Temporarily if you want a crossword free page with fixed up intro and CH
1 use http://communication.ucsd.edu/mca/Paper/leontev/index.html (small
mca). The fixed up intro and one is getting rid of excess css code that
should not have been there is the 1st place. I call it the Bill (Gates)
phenomenon.

2) In general I am hopeful the audience will come out more clearly when the
discussion starts. I would say its the west - pointing out our pitfalls and
attempting to resolve the contradictions within "western psychology". As
far as Varangians I assume they are "us" or at least some of us. My take is
its a defence of psychology from being hijacked from above and below - the
"v" did seem however to be directed at multidiciplinary research.

Very clearly I think Leont'ev places his work in the Marxist tradition that
sets itself in oppossition to multiple varieties "bourgeois" science. I
have mixed feeling on the usefullness on dwelling too much on the tone -
there is certainly one - at the cost of finding aspects where we can move
forward.

Here I think Engestrom's words will be useful - getting to the substance and
past the rhetoric of the intro and chapter 1. My impression is its more of a
conversation "to" than a coversation "with" and it is keeping the focus on
the latter that will be the most useful for us.

Nate