Re: chat/sociocultural?

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 15:17:58 PDT

mike asks
>On what I assume to be your topic-- do you assume that something
>called sociocultural studies was there before somethning called chat
>or that they were parallel worlds and you simply knew of one earlier,
>or????
>mike

i guess i am wondering what is the relation between sociocultural
and cultural-historical, are they the same or different and if different,
how?
my first thought is the cultural-historical applies in contexts of
activity theory, or Activity Theory,
but that need not be an essential usage, ?

i applaud your request for new voices - that would be a pleasure,
and i think this aspect of the list, the cultural-historical/sociocultural
might benefit from some
clarifications,
in terms of their history as a group of words,
and as ways for thinking about what we are doing as intellectuals,
and as relations of terms that seem to suppose or infer relations between
culture - history and the sociality of these.
thanks mike
diane
                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu