Re: a wee bit o' newz

From: Helena Worthen (hworthen@igc.org)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 07:17:21 PDT

Diane, congatulations. A long haul!

My experience at my "defense" was that they listened. It was actually a heady
experience -- to get their attention (Mike was one of them, and he modeled good
Dissertation Committee behavior, including getting to the room early!!!). I
thought to myself, "Wow, what if NEVER AGAIN in my life do I get so much
attention paid to me?"

I wish you the same sort of experience: I wish that your committee arrives on
time, has read what they should have read, are not distracted, don't make
irrelevant competitive chit-chat among themselves, behave themselves in terms
of not interrupting and not insisting on pushing one of their own pet donkeys,
and listen thoughtfully to you, allowing you the same sort of space and respect
for your work that you want and deserve (and that they want and demand, I'm
sure).

Helena