Re: freedom & responsibility

From: Judy Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 06:16:43 PDT

Having just read through today's messages, I was glad to find Randy's at
the end.

Paul, Peter, Alfred, Diane, Randy, & whoever -- Is it not an ideological
move to assimilate words and phrases to predefined ideologies? I didn't
hear discussions of freedom by Paul & Peter to be at all related to those
by Diane and Alfred, but then I'm sympathetic to a more nuanced discussion.
There seems to be some mushing of logical levels here. No one is claiming
that anyone is free to do what they want; no is claiming that anyone is
"free" of power relations; no one is claiming that anyone is "free" of
Discourse/SocialPRactices.

Alfred introduced the notion of freedom in terms of "semology" or
semiotics, and indeed, as I see it, it is precisely in the context of
ideality that we can claim that there is freedom, on a collective as well
as individual level. We are ALWAYS constrained by the "objective dimension"
of social reality, but don't we affect the object of activity in the way
that we participate within the activity system? Our actions within an
activity have a limited effect on the object -- more effect on others we
interact with locally -- our actions have virtually no effect on social
practice unless the actions are collective....

The term is being invoked in the context of a particular discussion, by
particular xmca participants, and here I'm inclined like Andy to see
meaning/ ideality as null except as realized in particular concrete
situations.

Judy