Re: freedom & responsibility (2)

From: Peter Farruggio (pfarr@uclink4.berkeley.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 08:20:11 PDT

Good comment, Paul. I notice that there is a pervasiveness in the US of
the notion that we really do have "freedom of choice" in all or most
things. Of course, the deep belief in this notion decreases precipitously
as you go down the income scale (social class), and I don't think very many
African Americans buy this idea, not even middle class folks.

Reminds me of the quip attributed to Bertholdt Brecht when he was asked
what he thought about American Democracy. He said, "I think it's a great
idea. They should try it sometime!"

This conception of "freedom" (that is, the kind that is given, not wrested
from power through struggle) in the US resonates in the behaviorist systems
of classroom management still popular in public schools, the most
well-known of which is "Assertive Discipline" They start from the premise
that each child "chooses" whether to behave or misbehave, as if nothing
else in the classroom context matters very much.

I wish I could remember the exact quote from Frederick Douglass, where he
said "Power concedes nothing without a struggle" The point being that this
is a very unequal class society, with the lower classes being oppressed on
a daily basis in almost every aspect of life. (And those in the middle
don't have it so good either, at least not psychologically, but they mostly
don't get it) Those who don't see this, in my opinion, are either
oblivious to reality or just don't care.

Pete Farruggio