Re(3): freedom & responsibility (2)

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 09 2000 - 19:07:12 PDT

paul asks (of judy)
>>who are you saying one is responsible to?

and i had posted:
>i know this is for judy,
>but because i, too, am writing about this, i can say the responsibility is
>towards yourself
>and to others.
>because there is little to differentiate between yourself and others,
>the responsibility works both ways.
>diane

...and again, realize the incompleteness of this as a response. so i want
to elaborate,
simply, if possible, that in the contexts of freedom/responsibility, the
reference is to being accountable for the choices you make.
it is certainly possible to abstract this relation into remote contexts,
such as the Native Americans' or the Hispanics' communities, or the black
ghettos in the U.S. today,
but i think it is also prudent to situate the questions a little closer to
where we are,
here in this place of discussion -
where we choose to respond to each other, or not,
and we choose HOW we will respond to each other, and within these choices
of responding we assume a responsibility for what we say, how that
reflects upon ourselves, as intellectuals,
and upon others, our audience of readers, our co-habitants here in this
email discussion place.
the responsibility is a consequence of the choices that we do make,
whether it is to act, or not, to resist, or defend, or attack, or listen,
or learn, or
speak,
and the responsibility is towards the Other - both our own conscience,
and the person(s) we refer to when we write.

i don't know if the immediate context helps clarify the "who" we are
responsible to,
but it is not an abstract or global responsibility for persons,
but an activity implicit in the ways we choose to act towards and with
others.
diane
                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu