RE: Re(2): ilyenkov-ideal: synopsis >>> "consciousness", freedom

From: Nate Schmolze (nate_schmolze@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 15:39:26 PDT

Alfred,

Diane touched on it, but probally with different reactions than I. What if
rather than seeing Herder and Kant's quotes as polar opposites we saw them
relationally. For me, freedom seems as good a candidate for an empty
abstraction as consciousness. Your development of freedom if I understand it
has this transcendental nature that does not escape the critique you gave to
consciousness.

Kant says: Humans are the only species that need a master

Herder reverses and says to be human = freedom not in need of a master.

On freedom, I am with Marx when he says even in the most brutal, oppressive
of environments there is freedom, the question is for who. As I fully well
acknowledge living in a society like the states what I have come to know as
freedom is not transcedental its material base is on the exploitation of
others - specifically those living in the so called 3rd world. We can
examine this on class, cultural, gender or a multitude of other levels, but
it seems very wrong in my mind to even give freedom a trancendental quality.

Second, I am with the line of reasoning forwarded by Foucault and Rose in
that in liberal democracies the central way a population is governed is
through freedom. The 19th century debates are interesting here, there was
no ethical romanticism involved the central question was how as a society
should we govern. Giving freedom a trancendental quality and ignoring that
it is a particular way to rule a population seems to ignore its material
existence.

We are given this thing called the state where power is invested - the
master for Kant - and on the other this civil society where freedom becomes
embedded. Kant emphasizes the state and Herder civil society as if they are
really seperate things. I would argue the two were brothers one creating the
state as an oppressive master and the other civil society as a sort of
transcendental natural state - freedom. It seems to me what is needed is
moving beyond this "fiction" of sorts in that the division is not so clear
cut.

Rather than seeing contraint as in oppossition to freedom we can see it as
what makes freedom possible. I believe Butler makes a similar argument in
*Bodies that Matter*. Rather than the old guard of seeing them as polar
opposites - when in actuality they were the same thing - we see them more
along the lines of being constituted. Contraints exist - the liberal
solution though is to make this as invisable as possible. They exist as
developmental milestones, standards, classifications, qualities of the
psyche, "passive" environment, ecologies(?) etc.

Internalization, consciousness, freedom are centerally a form of politics
and it seems wrong to give them a transcendental quality that puts politics
outside that process. In this sense they are all material - they occur and
get meaning from social practice. To say or pretend there is a natural state
called freedom where there are no masters just seems wrong.

Nate