RE: Re(2): Ideal - Ilyenkov

From: Judy Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 01:11:53 PDT

Jan, when you say

>There is only matter (Spinoza's one substance of which thought and extension
>are attributes) and the human form of matter has the ability to interact
>with matter in a way that actualises matter as meaningful - (positions,
>locates, constructs, makes noticeable through purposive activity, works on
>certain aspects and ignores others through scientific models, intervenes
>rather than represents etc.).

that is all fine, but it evades the distinction between the ideal
(objective) and "consciousness," if indeed we can make the distinction, or
in a way that would be consistent across groups/ individuals (whose
historical trajectories through nuclear families diverge). The distinction
concerns our valuing of certain practices, not others; certain discourses,
not others - doesn't it? There are, as you note, multiple ways of engaging
with matter, of defining "the matter at hand" -- so what Nate was
concerned about, as I understand it, was how we determine what's of (more)
value to us -- it's not all neutral territory 'out there'

we (who make culture through disciplinary activities/ art...) are all
actualizing matter as meaningful, in our sayings and doings... What sorts
of sayings and doings will lead to a better world, one that is meaningful
for more than just an elite (or just men)

judy